The Key Piece of the Full Armor of God
Updated: 5 days ago
1. Ephesians 6: 14-18 “Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith, where with ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit…”
2. The Apostle Paul’s earlier writings he offers a limited understanding of the full armor of God. 1 Thessalonians 5:8 he says “But let us, who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.” By the time Paul writes about the full armor of God in Ephesians his revelation had fully evolved.
3. Paul begins to list the spiritual weaponry in Ephesians 6:14 saying, “Stand therefore….” The Greek word for “stand” is the word “stenai", that means to stand upright with head held high and shoulders drawn back.
4. In the military this is known as a warriors bearing. This displays pride in being a warrior. Now Paul finishes listing this first piece of weaponry by saying, “having your loins gird with the truth.” Other pieces of the Roman full armor Paul lays out. The helmet was huge elaborate, ornate and decorative. The breastplate like the scales of a fish neck to hips. The graves were a beautiful bronze from knee top to foot top. The shoes were strong metal with cleats and spikes. The lance was in a pouch down the middle of his back. The sword and the shield also had elaborate beauty.
5. But the loin belt held everything together with no elaborate beauty but it was considered the most important to the Roman soldier’s weaponry.
6. Paul likens the Word of God to the soldiers “loin belt of truth.”
7. In this case Paul is talking about “the Logos” written Word of God not the inspirational “Rhema", or fresh, specially quickened word from God.
8. Praise, prayer, worship, social gatherings etc., etc. are not the loin belt. However the loin belt supports them all.
9. 2 Timothy 3:17 “the Logos” written Word of God can “cause you to be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.”
10. Furnish in the Greek means to completely outfit or to fully supply like a ship fully equipped with gear necessary for a long voyage.
11. Hebrews 5:12-13 says, “For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.”
12. The word “salvation” is taken from the root sodzo which means deliverance, safety, soundness of mind and healing. 1 Thessalonians 5:8 and Ephesians 6:17 tell us that the soldiers helmet is salvation in the spiritual armor.
13. The Sword of the Spirit hangs from the loin belt. 2 Peter 1:19 says, “We have also a more sure word of prophesy.”
14. Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is quick, and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
15.What happens when you stray from the Logos Loin Belt? Everything in your life starts to get loose and fall apart.